Their low cost, simple installation and effectiveness make asphalt shingles the #1 roofing material used for homes today. The two most popular styles manufactured are 3-tab and Dimensional shingles. They are also manufactured in a variety of color options for homeowners to choose from making them a versatile roofing option. Here at Aftermath Roofing we make sure to only use quality materials in our shingle installations and repairs in order to deliver a professional outcome. Aftermath Roofing is also a certified contractor of manufacturers like Owens Corning which gives us the ability to deliver superb installation and offer special warranties to our customers. (Ask about Owens Corning's preffered protection warranty). We also offer roof financing and insurance claim aid in order to facilitate your roof replacement. Below are some advantages and disadvantages of asphalt shingles as well as visual differences in 3-tab (25yr) and dimensional shingles (30yr).
Advantages of Asphalt Shingles
- They are easy to install and do a great job in waterproofing
- Are easy to find and inexpensive
- Are available in a variety of color options.
- Roof shingles offer Class A fire protection
Disadvantages of Asphalt Shingles
- Life expectancy of asphalt shingles is not as long as other roofing systems like metal or roof tile.
- Shingles are prone to blow off in really high winds .
- Asphalt shingles are prone to develop moss and mildew if installed in damp areas lacking direct sunlight.
3 Tab (25yr.) Shingles
Wind Rating: 60 mph
Dimensional (30yr) Shingles
Wind Rating: 110-130 mph